Monday 11 July 2011

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2

So check this out.  Last week I was checking the movie theatre websites and was surprised to find that Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2 will already be showing on the 13th of July and not the 15th as originally believed.  But the problem with that is I work in the week.  I devised a clever plan to try and twist my producers arm to let me go see the film the morning of the 13th.  My plan, as hopeless as it was, was better than nothing. Maybe, just maybe it would be 'Yes'. 


"You want me to be the best editor possible right?", I tried.  A very suspicious "Yes?" reply.  " So I was thinking if you can give me off on next Wednesday morning, then I can go and see Harry Potter Part 2 and learn SO much from editing.". She laughed. 


And you will never guess the response! My producer didn't say yes... that's obvious...


But even better!!! She gave me tickets for the special screening premier in South Africa that happened this past Sunday.  I went crazy!  So all the people in the office laughed at me because they didn't know that I'm such a big Harry Potter fan, while they all pretend like they don't know why Harry Potter is so great.  People, it's 2011 for goodness sake, it is save to come out of the Cupboard Under The Stairs, there are millions of us already out! It's okay to like Harry Potter in the open.
I'm not going to give away any spoilers.  What I can definitely warm you about: you're going to need some tissues, especially if you are prone to tears in movies.  The film was amazing, some of the fanatic book readers might have a problem at some of the bits, but I was particularly pleased that they captured the emotion and the essence of the book.  That being said, most of the things are exactly the way they are in the book, and the things they changed is either better or it doesn't matter because the rest of the film is just so amazing.  Also note, I don't think it is appropriate for children under the age of 13, even if the rating is only PG-13.  


What I like about the films is their maturation (and I must admit their budget): the scenery and set's have such wonderful texture and life.  It's absolutely remarkable. The trailer promised one big show down with massive special effects and use of magic, and it paid in full.  For a while, at the start of the film, it's almost like they are teasing you by not showing too much showy dueling magic. But the first moment [Not Going To Spoil It For You Person] whips out a wand and starts duelling, throwing impressive flames at [Blah blah], all the hair on my body just shot up... I had Goosebumps so much in this film it was ridiculous (see how I worked in a spell there!). 
I don't want to say much, because it would be an injustice to try and explain it to anyone in words, the only thing that could explain it properly is the actual book itself.
What I can tell you is how much fun it was to go to a media premier, it was my first time, so if you think I'm being stupid, then well forgive me - hopefully I'll have many more.  There was witches walking around handing out free candy, there was a magician doing pretty impressive tricks, a photo booth with props to capture the Harry fever, and it was all free!  So was the popcorn and cold drinks at the door.  And I've had someone else pay for popcorn and cold drinks before, but this is much better, because it feels like people are sharing their abundance.  This is the way a movie should be viewed.  It was the perfect way for me to see the last instalment of Harry Potter.  


Did I also mention that Barry Ronge (website), the well known South Africa film critic was also in the cinema.  I wanted to walk up to him and say what a big fan I am and that one day I'm going to do his job, but I just wanted to enjoy the Harry Potter moment so I just let him walk beside me as we were exiting the cinema.
My verdict: go and buy your ticket NOW!  If you haven't watched any of the other Harry Potter films, go rent them, watch them and go see the last one in the cinemas, you won't regret it.  I want to say don't take in a popcorn at all so nothing distracts you, but you are going to need a large one, because for a large part you're going to need something to chew away the nervousness, and that also gives you an excuse to go see the film again.  "Oh, I looked down during that part because of my popcorn, so I have to see it again." 
Not that you need an excuse, so get a large popcorn and enjoy the film.  I can't wait for this weekend, because them I'm going to see it again, this time in 3D! Maybe I'll see you there... Finite Incantatum.



No comments:

Post a Comment