Tuesday 1 May 2012

Glee - S03E15 - We Think You Are Too Dumb For A Clever Storyline

I cannot begin to explain how disappointed I am with Glee, and I know it sounds strange because of my previous post.  I went on and on about how they are getting it right.  Well, I believe that that episode was simply a fluke.  It was a fantastic winter mid-season finale, and I've been counting down the days until the new episode.  I even stayed up until 2am to watch the episode, what a waste.


They reverted back to their old shlep of a ship.  Cliches around every corner, no real story line, I was bored out of my mind.  If it wasn't for Blaine's cute brother in this episode I would have said total waste of an hour in my life.  The Goyte song at the end was also a saviour for them, but I still prefer the original and it was a cheap trick on their part.  Luckily Blaine's rendition of 'Fighter' was fairly good, but only because I think that no one should cover that song.  It's one of those songs that only the original artist can sing... well that being said, maybe it's rather one of those songs which you can only listen to the original studio song, because even Christina Aguilera singing that live does not sound as good as the studio track.  But Blaine's version was fine, it was not a disaster, which in it self is difficult to pull off.
But the rest of the episode was pretty shit.  The whole new anti-texting campaign, Finn and Rachel's are-we-going-to-marry-or-not which has been going back and forth this whole season, the way they duck out of Quin's accident, and then Artie feeling all sad again because Quin does not want to accept her reality.  It's stupid and not well written.  And I don't know why?  Glee has an excellent writing staff.  The head writer, Ryan Murphy, has written many amazing scripts, just look at the 6 seasons of Nip/Tuck.
But that being said, I think that the bigger problem is the longevity of Glee.  Even though it is a musical TV show, it's not about the music, music is just another part of the story.  The premise of Glee is a bunch of miss-fitted teenagers who want to feel part of something special, thus they choose to win a national show choir competition.  So, they are now in senior year and this is their last shot.  If they win it this year, we are happy.  If they don't win it, we are bummed, but either way it should end this season.  As much as I love them making amazing covers of some of may favorite songs and teaching me some fantastic new songs, their time has come.  I thought that by them creating a proper new storyline in the previous episode that where going to be able to craft a new story arch which will lead them into a new breath on life and give them a few more seasons.  But no. No. No. No. Even if they do whip out some new rabbit, I'm not falling for it again.


I think once they know that this is their last season, they will also start writing towards a specific goal and once they do that the story will suddenly pick up and seem like they have their mojo back, but thats the point.  Every story should have a beginning, but most importantly an end.  I don't want to watch a story that isn't going anywhere, otherwise I would have watched something like Days of Our Lives or Bold and The Beautiful.  So FOX, please let Glee know that this is their last season and they should start writing towards an end.


All in all I don't want you leaving feeling all bothered by Glee (or this review if you don't agree) so I include a fun little number that they did which I really enjoyed (It was not in this episode though).




I also had to include this song.  Killer dance scene.  Old school!



No comments:

Post a Comment