Friday 9 March 2012

Glee - S3E14 - On My Way



The first time in 2010 when I discovered Glee I was captivated from that first episode.  I think I watched that episode 9 times in the following two days.  The whole of season 1 was amazing all the way up to the finale with their awesome Journey set list.  Season two introduced new characters which I quickly fell in love with, interesting a daring storylines, but it started to go down slightly in season two.  Season 3 however I felt like they were losing me a bit.  I didn’t enjoy the songs and there wasn’t really a great storyline either.  That being said it was more of a case where they had 14 episodes of which 5 were kind of lost.  But as they drew closer to the mid-season finale, they got their old steam back.  And I think the reason is because they got a decent storyline again.  For quite a while in season 3 I wasn’t sure where they were heading and if they were even heading somewhere, but as I said, they found a story again and I could see it is moving forward. 




This episode in particular was a fantastic climax of various storylines and of the winter finale as well.  First I thought the other reason why I didn’t enjoy some of the previous episodes was because I didn’t know a lot of the songs.  This episode disproved that, because I didn’t know most of the songs, but they where earth shattering.  And I mean that.  For two days the song ‘Cough Syrup’ was stuck in my head, I bought it immediately on iTunes and I’ve been listening it on repeat for days and days.  The rendition of it is absolutely hauntingly beautiful.  And the scene that accompanies is truly amazing.  I’ve liked the Dave Karofsky character from that first day he bullied Kurt, not because he was a bully, but because even there I could see how much deeper his character is, and it is a testimony to Max Adler who plays the part, because I think Ryan Murphy also so it and that is why the character developed the way he did.  He was meant to be in this story from the beginning, whether the writers knew about it or not. 





Kurt Hummel, was a character which I though was stupid on the first episode, but the Chris Colfer who played him also brought something extra.  On the exterior it is this stereotype, but he quickly breaks all of them.  My initial prejudice might have also originated form my jealousy towards Chris Colfer for doing something I would have liked to do at an age younger than me, but he really is exceptional, I he quickly made me get over my hang-ups.  I really believe he deserves that Golden Globe and I think we are going to see amazing acting from him. 


I also have to give props to the writing team, because the way they say things and speak through the characters, well it’s absolutely amazing.  They have a way of saying something that sounds complex in my head in such a way that it makes all the sense in the world without having to use to many words. 


The cliffhanger, as predictable as it was, I was still shocked that they would go there, but also happy they went there.  It shows that they’ve decided to take risks with their characters.  Go places that you usually go in real life.  They are taking off the training wheels and pulling out all the proverbial stops.  I’m looking forward to seeing what else they have to offer and what new fantastic songs they will introduce to me.  What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment