Tuesday 6 March 2012

Sucker Punch (2011)



I really wanted to see this movie.  I didn’t see a trailer, I just saw the poster.  But then it came out and I didn’t go see it and it came on DVD and I didn’t rent it and Heinrich gave me the movie and I didn’t watch it.  Until recently.  I want to say I don’t know why, but I know why.  Before I watched it I didn’t realize why I haven’t watched it, but afterwards I knew the reason I only watched it later was because I was meant to watch it later.  If that doesn’t make sense, I’ll get to that later.

This movie was weird, let’s just be honest.  Not in a bad way though, but there were parts which I wished was longer and others shorter.  What it is, is this continuous jump between fantasy and reality and reality in fantasy and fantasy in fantasy and suddenly it feels like I’m in Inception and need to keep track of where I am.  Not that it’s hard to do though.  The transitions between this reality and fantasy is absolutely flawless and I love it when you can transition from one scene to the next but you can’t see a cut. 

Now Zack Snyder is known for his fantastic look and at many parts in the film I was gob smacked at how some of the effects where done, because it is real life action mixed with a lot of CGI, but then they go slow-mo and the effect is still flawless, so I can’t fault them on that.  I was however more interested in the real life story taking place in this house, instead of seeing the alternate reality of fighting which symbolizes them completing the task.  The reason why I’m so torn is because I love the reality part and I love the fighting part, I just which that they won’t substitute each other’s in between story.  It seems like it was two movies and was cut into one.

Yoav
But all that is just technicalities, because at the end I’m still blown away with this film.  The ending really stuck with me.  The last few words.  And that is why I only watched the film later, because I needed to hear those words at the perfect time.  Very simple but power full.  And I suggest you go watch the film as soon as possible, and maybe try and watch it in HD, it really is worth it.  The soundtrack is absolutely awesome!  They used South African musician, Yoav, to do pretty much the whole score for the film and I love it.  The soundtrack is on repeat on my iPod!  Especially their version of Sweet Dreams and the various versions Where Is My Mind?.  You won’t need to put Salt & Vinegar spice on your popcorn to take your breath away, the movie will take care of that!  Get the Blu-ray, get a large popcorn and watch it!  You have all the tools you need. Now fight!


No comments:

Post a Comment